Posted by Don Rose
Once again, the Eco Gift Festival was held mid-December at the Santa Monica Civic and was a huge success. Over 9800 attendees soaked up the sights and sounds, partaking in organic culinary delights, learning about green products, buying ecofriendly gifts, and meeting like-minded caring eco-individuals. Tommy Rosen and Eco Gift LLC presented the groundbreaking event, offering consumers one-stop shopping with over 150+ leading green companies presenting innovative green gifts, plus an Organic Food Court, Children's Stage, live music and a Speaker Series with leading Eco-Preneurs and Visionaries.
Many celebs came by and/or performed during the weekend of the fest, including Jackson Browne, Lisa Ling, Arianna Huffington, Daphne Zuniga, Val Kilmer, Stephen Collins, Faye Grant and more. Jackson appeared unexpectedly to perform with Tom Freund. Lisa is building an eco-friendly, solar-paneled home and attended to check out new alternative products to enhance an eco-living lifestyle.
Speakers included: Arianna Huffington (Founder-Huffington Post), Michael Brune (Executive Director-Rainforest Action Network), Josh Tickell (award-winning filmmaker "Fuel"), Shallom Berkman (Founder-Urth Caffe), Blake Mycoskie (Founder, Tom's Shoes), Eco-designer Linda Loudermilk, Tom Szaky (Co-Founder TerraCycle), Susan Olsen, aka Cindy Brady on the Children's stage. John Marshall Roberts ("Igniting Inspiration, A Persuasion Manual for Visionaries") Mallika Chopra "The Power of Intent to Affect Global Wellness" plus more.
Musical performances included: Tom Freund, Chris Pierce, Jillian Speer and The Luminaries.
Some of the many wonderful vendors Included:
- Tom’s Shoes - Toms shoes was born in 2006. The concept being simple: You buy a pair of shoes from Toms- they donate a pair to a child in need. In November, 2007, Tom's Shoes hand placed 50,000 pair of shoes on children in South Africa.
- Terracycle – Tom Szaky, Founder, coined the term “Upcycling.” Takes garbage and “upcycles it” into products.
- Cool Planet Jewelry – Founder Jerry Cope has created a line of Jewelry (Recycled Silver,
Gold and Platinum) and gives 100% of his profits to stopglobalwarming.org.
- Solio – Solar Powered Chargers that power your handheld devices and computers.
- To-Go Ware - Ever go to a deli and need a plastic fork, knife spoon? To-Go Ware founder has stylish and beautiful bamboo flatware that you take with you wherever you go. NEVER USE PLASTIC AGAIN!
- Lucky Earth Waterless Carwash – Just like it sounds. Wash your car without water. The LA Report especially loves this product and concept.
- New Leaf Paper – Saving trees with every sheet.
- Linda Loudermilk – Eco Fashion Pioneer with a significant brand awareness.
- Mr. Ellie Pooh – Paper Products made out of Elephant Poop in order to protect the
endangered Elephant Population.
And, by the way, the Festival was a 'zero waste' event, meaning they truly practice what they preach. 10% of the profits from the show will be donated to select Los Angeles charities, including GLOBAL GREEN USA.
The LA Report gives the Eco Gift Festival a Best Bet rating (in other words, don't miss it when it returns in December 2009!).
January 13, 2009
Posted by Don Rose